Two new alternate prediction methods
3G Watchdog usage prediction capability is one of its most useful features. It is important for the user not only to know her/his current consumption, but also to anticipate its usage by the end of the current plan period or day so she/he can take corrective action if necessary.
However usage prediction is not an exact science, and there is no way to predict usage with 100% accuracy. Different strategies may be implemented, and as of version 1.22.0, 3G Watchdog offers the choice between 3 prediction methods:
- Standard (aka “Amnesic”) method: this prediction is based on usage since the beginning of the current period (day or plan), and is a simple linear extrapolation of this usage. Usage history before the beginning of the current period is not taken into account (hence the nickname “amnesic”). A drawback of this method is that the prediction is unavailable at the beginning of each period until enough usage data can be collected to get a significant prediction. Even after enough data has eventually been collected to supply a prediction, this prediction strategy still tends to amplify your usage in the initial part of the period: for example if you had exceptionally high consumption in the first hour, the prediction will be very high too, which can be disturbing. Nevertherless the prediction will become more smoothed and accurate as time passes.
- Moving average [since 1.22.0]: this prediction is based on the average usage from the last N days (N configurable, default: 30). This strategy tends to smooth the prediction because past usage (before the current period) is taken into account. It works well on a large period such as a monthly plan, but may produce strange results with current day prediction, as the importance given to past usage may outweight the actual usage for the day.
- Mixed [since 1.22.0]: this prediction is based on a dynamically weighted combination of the two above methods. More weight is given to the moving average prediction (based on past usage) at the beginning of the period (reflecting the absence of actual data), but as time passes and more actual usage data becomes available the balance shifts towards the amnesic prediction (reflecting the fact that actual data is more important than speculative one).
No method is perfect. You might want to experiment in order to find which one best matches your usage pattern, but if you have some usage history I recommend you give the Mixed method a try. You can freely switch from one method to the other.
Go to 3GW Settings > Prediction to select the prediction method:
Current and remaining usages shown inside the Pro Usage graph bar
Improved Samsung Galaxy S3 support
Samsung Galaxy S4 support
Error reporting tool
Misc bug fixes…
- Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500 and GT-I9505)
- Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos (GT-I9082)
- Samsung Captivate Glide “R” variant
- Motorola RAZR i XT890
- Nexus 7 tablet with 3G/4G.
This is a bug fix release.
Galaxy S4 GT-I9500
Updated Danish translation
Time Zone support
The main novelty in this version is that 3G Watchdog Pro now allows you to specifiy a Time Zone for your local/domestic and roaming plan (in 3GW Settings > Your Plan). This is the reference Time Zone for the dates used by your operator (billing date, day, week, month). It defaults to your current TZ at the time this parameter is first set, but you can still change it later. Note that the chosen TZ applies to both the local and the roaming plans (i.e. the two plans share the same TZ).
The interest of specifying a Time Zone is that if you happen to travel and switch Time Zone, 3G Watchdog will still be able to calculate correctly the dates using the reference TZ. When you are in a different TZ than the plan’s one 3GW will display the date in the plan TZ at the top of the section(local or roaming) for this plan in the usage report (main) screen. This will remind you that the date is different from the date in your current TZ:
Restrict background traffic to WiFi for ALL applications at once
Clearer warning level configuration
Improved swipe gestures
Data widget improvements
- In widget configuration dialog (at widget creation time): allows to select “time bar” even when the usage bar is unavailable. This is for people with unlimited plans but who still want to know the progress of their plan period.
- When showing roaming usage: fixed time bar showing local plan period instead of roaming plan period.
Raised maximum % threshold for network auto-disabling from 200 to 1000
Increased Pro usage graph right margin to avoid overlap when close to end of period
This is mostly a bug fix release.
New text sizes for the big data widget
Restart automatically the 3GWP service after an update
Fixed daily usage by application not reset when phone off at midnight
Other Minor bug fixes
– Version 1.19.0 introduced a new “Holo” look.
– Versions 1.19.1 and 1.19.2 fixed size problems on Widgets.
– 1.19.2 also fixed a problem with the “data mobile switch” widget not longer being available on some tablets since 1.19.0.
New “Holo” look
Action bar & period Tabs
The Action bar is one of the pillars of the Holo design. This is the green band at the top with the 3GW icon. It is visible in every screen of the application and displays from left to right:
Happy New Year!